Pages

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

BritLit - No Shame, No Fear by Ann Turnbull



     No Shame, No Fear is about a young Quaker girl suffering persecution because of her faith.What really stood out to me was how she continually stood her ground and tried to enlighten others.  She explains to her (future) fiance that her faith requires her to examine everything and decide if it is right for her or not. 
     For example, her style of dress is modest and plain because she doesn't want it to distract others from her message of faith, however, she is allowed to make her own choices.  Also, she explains that they look people in the eye and always tell the truth - even if it hurts. She does make the reader question their own customs through her character. 
     I admit, this book was not for me. I appreciated her bravery for her outspoken and firm faith, but I just didn't enjoy it presented as a love story.  I may have related to it better if we had managed to visit a Quaker society in Cornwall, England. It was still up in the air on the itinerary, but didn't work out. 
My watercolor of the view out our hostel window
Cornwall, England




0 comments:

Post a Comment