Pages

Monday, March 14, 2011

Borders Employees - We "get" them.

I know, I know, I need to get over this Borders closing...I'm working on it, but they are still teasing me with all their email and the store is still discounting and my son is still asking me to take him there and if the building will disappear.  I did make one last trip in there to buy a copy of Matched by Allie Condie since I didn't get it for Christmas. 
Borders is not the only one closing, we are also losing Old Navy. Why is it losing Old Navy is just a disappointment, but losing Borders is like having your best friend move away? I ran across this heartfelt letter written by an ex-Borders employee.   I think this sums up why we connect with them and why closing the only bookstore within 15 miles of our little town is such a pity....


Letter to the editor: It was rare privilege to work at Borders
 
I am one of the 27 about-to-be-displaced employees of the Borders Bookstore. I simply want to say that my coworkers and I loved our jobs at Borders, and have always appreciated the opportunity to share our devotion to books and music with you, our extraordinary customers.

Naturally I am as distressed as any of my Borders friends at the closure of this store. It is difficult to think we will no longer be here for you. It is a rare privilege to work at something you love so much! Whether conversing with others about books, authors or subject matter, or recommending reading or music that we hoped would give you some enjoyment, our job has been incomparable!

I want to thank the many customers who have supported us all these years, enabling us to pursue this love of ours. I must also add huge appreciation for the emotional support, the commiseration, and especially the suggestions of local businesses that are hiring, in this anxious time. I am luckier than some of my coworkers; I am already employed elsewhere. But many intelligent, hardworking and dedicated individuals, for whom customer service is never just lip service, are less fortunate. I would ask that if a resume from one of the Borders folks comes your way, you give it some consideration. I can't express enough how any employer would benefit from one of these fine folks in your employ.

Angie
I did take a quick look at the alternative indie store Country Bookshelf downtown, but as I expected on that sub-zero, windy day - no parking spaces available for blocks!



Click Here for Entire Letter

2 comments:

  1. awww...what a bummer. With the Kindel and Nook, I am afraid this is going to happen more and more often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so sweet. That's how I felt about my favorite local scrapbook store closing. Funny though--this event seems opposite of the movie you love You've Got Mail. . .

    ReplyDelete