Pages

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Bending to His Will....

Jer 29:11For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

I was looking forward to today, especially since yesterday I was crabby from lack of sleep and lack of downtime, but had to catch up on housework.  When I work 4 nights in a row and get up early I get to a point where I need some time to just be quiet, read, write and pray. I'm sure it's been months since I was really alone - no company, no kids, no salesman knocking. Today was the day I was going to read Legacy. I was getting ready this morning to send all four off to school and wouldn't you know my littlest came out of his room looking very pale, feeling clammy and complaining of a sore throat. I think that happened the last time I had a day "off" too - where I didn't have school but they did. I only have three of those before my semester starts - well, now that would be two and one of those I promised to volunteer in his classroom - so now I'm down to one.

Of course he's only too sick for school, but not too sick to be noisy and right away wanted to play a video game at 7:30AM. I told him he needed to lay down and be quiet just for a little while. He leaned over the back of the couch and said, "Mom, I'm going to lay down and play the Wii on the couch - kapische?" with the cutest expression on his face. Hilarious! I had to hide my smile when I corrected him for saying that to me. Where did he learn to use that word correctly? Must be from the latest Redbox rental.

So I'm alternating between irritation that my plans to reorganize my brain today have been foiled and guilt that I would ever wish he wasn't here. I have an adorable 6 year old to hang out with all day and just be together. I remind myself that if anything ever happened to him, I'd be wishing for one more day together. So I just need to bend and realign my plans to the plans God has for me today - even though that means watching Spiderwick Chronicles with him AGAIN.....

A man's heart plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps. Proverbs 16:9

5 comments:

  1. Ugh, I hate when that happens. BUT, you are right - the extra time with him today will be precious! Make the most of it. And I hope he feels better.

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes in our plans, we walk right past a lovely detour where God's waiting to bless us in unexpected ways. I hope the unsceduled day with your son turns out to be fun and soul feeding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Dawn and Laurel.I feel like I'm "under construction" today - I wonder if God feels like I do. Does he say, "I had all these great plans for her today and she went the wrong way!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a day last week (I posted about it - can't remember the post title though), anyway...I had a day last week where I was feeling like God wanted me to do more, but I woke up and just prayed that God would take my day and give me His plans for my day and I would trust that whatever they were were exactly what He wanted them to be. And do you know what they were? Dishes, playing with my kids, grocery shopping, ect. And I trusted that the things in my day were exactly what He wanted them to be - and I tried my best to walk in step with the Holy Spirit knowing that as long as I stay in Christ that He can make anything produce fruit.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even now with one of my boys are grown up and married, I'll have one of those days where I have nothing to do and be so excited about it - and Waa-La! Someone is sick or something happens to one of the younger ones. Part of me is disappointed, but another part of me knows that one day they will leave the nest, not really look back and the snugglebuggles will have all been used up! It's hard to balance sometimes what we need inside (like a few moments to ourselves) with what we know tomorrow is going to be:). I think that's why I love Snow Days - they are like sick days but it's just a dog-pile kind of day where everything stops - and we all hang out!

    ReplyDelete