Pages

Friday, October 22, 2010

Just jump!


......at least in my imagination I would feel ike this!

It's the funniest feeling - to be told I have to schedule a mid-term grade review with my instructor. I was like, what? Do I need to bring my mom?  Wait a minute - I'm the grown up here. It's just me, my instructor and the truth of how I'm performing in class.  This is the moment my question will be answered, "After twenty years away from school, do I have what it takes to be on equal footing with today's high school graduates?" I assume many adults ask that question over and over, some let it defeat them. All those new freshman have been taught way more than we were in high school. It's just progress. I would hope that my kids will know more when they graduate than I did so I should be happy for them. Of course those feelings of inferiority are still there and I had to just set them aside and act as if I was confident until the semester ended.

 So, if you are thinking about returning to school, listen to what my instructor said and answer the question for yourself - does age take you down a notch in your education? Does life experience account for anything in a formal education setting?

She gave me a 100% on the hardest paper we have so far and said she rarely grades that high and only gave out two like it in her two classes. She said I totally got the book's meaning and assignment of interpreting it. She also said my oral presentation about the impacts on food packaging in our landfill had the best visual element she'd seen in either class. She loved it. My other instructor in Energy and Sustainability, a 3rd year level class, just lists scores and mine was at 94%. Am I saying this to toot my horn? NO! I am sharing this to back up what my friend (who just got her second degree) told me - "Just jump in and it will all come back to you." Even she started out with just one class. So go ahead, fill out that FAFSA - to get your financial aid and apply for school if it's in your dreams. Don't look back and wish you had - you can do it!

10 comments:

  1. Christine ("the Bean")October 22, 2010 at 1:41 PM

    Awesome Leah! I think at our ages, we appreciate it much more now that when we were fresh out of high school. Very inspiring...makes me want to look at going back to school again too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Wouldn't that be fun to be in school together again? I do miss having someone to meet me between classes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christine "the bean"October 22, 2010 at 3:09 PM

    I would love it! Too bad we are so far apart!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome! I've thought about you as I drove through our local college campus.... I wish I was back in school. My husband says I can go, but then I have to commit to going back to work (eeck!). I'm not ready to give up my writing aspirations yet. Congratulations on your success!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Sharon! There's always auditing classes (for no credits) or online classes if you just want a challenge. I took one through LSU for $200. But being a writer? That's still up on my wish list - it would be such a dream!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You rock! Going back to school years later is so hard and especially with little ones around to make it more difficult. It sounds like you are going to breeze right through though and I really admire you for jumping in and going for your dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  7. In the words of Wyatt -- SaWEET! Good job on the great reviews and grades. That is the kind of encouragement you need to keep going. You are a Wife and Mother of 4 boys---you can multi-task and accomplish like no other! Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Leah sloan Readin wrightin raison boysOctober 26, 2010 at 11:01 AM

    mom here i will pack my own lunch if u need me luv momyou go leah!oct 26 10:00 am

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you, diving back in! My hubby is a professor and says hands down his nontraditional students (not 18-22) are at the top of the class. Largely it's work ethic, and actually having an idea of how you'll use the knowledge in the real world. But he's also seeing gaping holes in HS education these days. The kids are not taught to do persuasive writing and their knowledge of history is rudimentary--as in not knowing Abe Lincoln predates MLK by 100 years.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Mom! I'll save you a tiny chair to sit in like elementary school!

    Thanks for saying that Laurel. I was surprised at their discussion ideas though. They know how to think deeply and talk about it, maybe just not get it all on paper.

    ReplyDelete