Pages

Monday, June 21, 2010

Hiking is Fun-E!

If you think it's all about nature and exercise, think again! The prime observation position when hiking with four sons is" bringing up the rear".  For Father's Day, my husband chose for us to go on a short, steep hike on a narrow trail. It was our first hike of the season and it seems to me that the boys are out of practice, or maybe just not used to a narrow trail. I smirked and giggled as I watched my oldest, 12, and my middler, 7, jockey for the highest ranking position right behind Dad. Or should I say on the back of his heels. Dad turned around ever few feet and told them to knock it off. (I was no help, too funny to watch!) There were elbows flying and shoving going on. My 12 year old is twice the size of my 7 year old but he really wanted to walk behind Dad on his special day and wasn't above playing dirty.  On our way back down the mountain, we ended up with a 4-boy-territory-marking-stop. Almost to the car, Dad decides to make an abrupt halt to video tape us all and the boys were still walking so close behind one another they narrowly missed a pile up! We've got footage to prove it - we look like an accordian  - stretch, crunch up, stretch.....I can't wait until next weekend when we hike the "M" on the other mountain. I've got dibs on bringin up the rear again!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great day! We went to Niagara Falls where my four year old complained, "I don't wanna take a shower," when the Falls' mist sprayed on him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever explored letterboxing with your boys? Mine loved it! We did all the boxes we could here in the Flathead and then we started placing a few ourselves. Check out the website: www.letterboxing.org.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of it. I will check it out - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun way to spend Father's Day. I only have one so none of that. You should post the vid..Too funny

    ReplyDelete