Pages

Friday, June 11, 2010

Ever have a "Book Hangover"?

Have you ever read a book that was so great that you stayed up all night flipping the pages, sweat beading up on your lip, just to get to the end? Did you wake up with a mini headache? Heartache for the characters you invested so many hours of feelings in? Did the characters swirl around in your head all day, giving you occasional twinges in your chest or shortness of breath when you thought of their plight -  distracting you from balancing your checkbook? How long did you wait to pick up another book? Was it a sequel? Or did you reach for something opposit to distract yourself? What book did this for you? What's the cure?


6 comments:

  1. Christine "the Bean"June 11, 2010 at 1:34 PM

    Yes! Just finished reading "The Help" and it was so good. I was almost sad when I got to the end. I took a small reading break and then started another book recommended by a friend. It was so hard to not compare them though...and to not be disappointed by the next book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All books do this for me usually. All fiction anyways. I always feel the need to take a nap when I'm done reading a book so I usually finish when I have a day off or right before bed.

    Perfectly described though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diana Gabaldon: Outlander (#1) is the one that I finished so long ago. I started # 2 and often wonder what I'm missing. I can't ever seem to get back to it and wonder about the rest of the stories. Other than that I can say that I have read David Gets in Trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto on Outlander! Same with the sequel Dragonfly in Amber - whoa!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this concept--it's a perfect description. I can't afford to go on book "benders" anymore, though--with three little kids, I have to be conscious in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Bear! I haven't had an opportunity to do it in years! Always remembering how fun it was though!

    ReplyDelete