Pages

Saturday, February 15, 2014

A very UN-Valentine's Day....pledge for change

...I bet you are thinking, "Here come's the whining...." 

  The funny thing is, I have very mixed-feelings about Valentine's day.  I LOVE everything with hearts. I love pink and red - especially when they are hearts with swirls. I'm a sucker for everything in the holiday aisle at work - glasses with hearts and red stems, pillows with sweet messages on them, and even those chalky-message heart candies. I tell you, when I'm a teacher, we are going to Par-Tay on Feb 14th every year.
     But, when it comes to the "holiday", I don't see it like many of the people around me. I work in retail, so yesterday was like the Superbowl nacho/wings fest. I heard men and women were lined up when we opened at 5am. It was a madhouse and the shelves were picked clean. Men were everywhere wishing they'd come in earlier before all the bouquets in their budgets were gone. It's all good. It's really touching to see all these people trying to find something to express how they feel on a special day, knowing in the back of their minds others will be waiting to hear how it went.
    Of course, with my work schedule I will only be seeing my Valentine for one cup of coffee and some very sweet cards and treats in the morning, and briefly for a take-out lunch break. Out of my two evenings that I don't work, one is on a Monday and the other I have a night class. So, how does this epic day of expressing your love play out in busy people's lives? It becomes a part of life
 as it should be.

      It is not just one day of flowers and candy, but a nice lunch delivered, a breakfast cooked the next day without being asked, a steak and seafood dinner planned and waiting to be cooked at our convenience the day after and the best of all - those times set aside to just be together for 5 minutes or so. No pressure - and it feels great! It affirms what I really believe about Valentine's day - I should be EVERY day. I'm not talking breaking-the-bank every day, but just thinking of Valentine's day as a reminder for taking those moments every day and planning the next ones.

What do you think?   Do you prefer to just get it over with? Or is it too much pressure for one day? Do you appreciate that stores help you step up your game with their creative floral arrangements and balloons? Would you rather we had a section in the front of the store every day to help you express how you feel?

source


0 comments:

Post a Comment