Pages

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Wordy-Nerdy Wednesday

"The Burgess"
     A new addition to Reading, Writing, Raisin' Boys : Wordy-Nerdy Wednesday. 

     Inspired by Ingrid Law, author of Savvy  -  we all need to learn a new goofy word now and then to spark our creativity. Her entire book Scumble was born out of a word of the day definition. BUT, why let Webster or Oxford generate some stuffy, mundane words, noooo, let's have some fun. 

To start off our Wordy-Nerdy Wednesday I bring you the Burgess Unabridged - A Classic Dictionary of Words You Have Always Needed, by Gelett Burgess (henceforth - the Burgess) .

Since it's our 22nd anniversary, I chose a word that can be used today:

Huzzlecoo
Huz'zle-coo, n. 1. An intimate talk; a "heart-to-heart" conversation; a private confidential chat. 2. a flirtation. 

The huzzlecoo that Mary had
With me, the other night,
Was intimate and personal,
And, - well, you know all right!

The huzzlecoo her father had
With me, soon after that
Was intimate and personal - 
I left without my hat!

Thank you Burgess for providing that definition and poem.  I once read that if you make up a word for a novel, you have to use it at least twice to "own" it. 

Now it's up to you readers - use "huzzlecoo" in a sentence this week and let us know how it goes!  Can you own it? 

Here's my attempt:

Should Dr. Seuss burst through the doors of our fantastical childrens' library in a thneed, he'd no doubt bring about a plethora of huzzlecoo's and hulabaloos.

How'd I do?

0 comments:

Post a Comment