Pages

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Audio Book Review: Fire by Kristin Cashore


Fire , book two of the Seven kingdoms Trilogy by Kristin Cashore, narrated by Xanthe Elbrick. This is the second book I have read by her, and every time I think of her books I can't get over the beautiful prose!  I tell you, she uses descriptive language that would make a thesaurus cry!

Fire is a story about a "monster-girl" - not any ordinary monster, but one possessing so much beauty that the other characters cannot even take their eyes off her. She is not only a "monster/human", she's talented, caring, adventurous, unbelievably brave and deeply emotional about people she helps and especially people she loves.

Fire is a multi-faceted love-story that spans across characters as well as kingdoms. Kristin Cashore reveals her character as translucent - there are no secrets with her characters; they are who they are. Fire leaves her sheltered life for one of service to the king. In accomplishing the mission she was requested to complete, she forges a friendship with the king, his brother the prince, as well as a portion of his army. Fire is under constant threat from kidnappers and in the middle of a war. Can she keep a level head and find her purpose in life? Can she allow herself to love and be loved? Fire's journey takes you through colorful and dangerous kingdoms as well as gut-wrenching emotions.

My only reservations were the arc of the book was not what I am accustomed to and that I was completely confused by the family ties. For a 32 chapter book, they were mentioned in only a sentence or two but had a great bearing on the story. I do think some of my confusion is from listening to an audio copy rather than a printed copy that I could easily flip back through. If you read Fire and can help me follow the ties that bind - please post a comment.


Check out this alternate cover for Fire 

I cannot wait to read the companion book Bitterblue which is also a sequel to Graceling.

I give Firefour stars!  Watch the YouTube Trailer here:



Read also her first book in the Graceling Realm , Graceling and her sequel, Bitterblue.












1 comments:

  1. Sounds intriguing. Thanks for the review!

    And PS: About The Hunger Games...
    As much as I LOVED the series, as soon as I read Mockingjay, I almost wished I had stopped at the first book because it really affected me that much emotionally.
    But I'm over it, so now I'm thinking it was nice to have closure on the series. :-)

    ReplyDelete