Pages

Monday, January 2, 2012

When is the writing good?

     Reading the comments on Elana Johnson's post about taking a short break from writing got me thinking. She talked about focusing on things that make you who you are and then coming back more equipped for your next writing. One of her commenter's, L.L. Muir said, "Write while the writing's good," and mentioned 8pm to 2am. I have to agree that is the BEST time for creativity to flow.
     I may not be writing a novel, no, just planning for when I finally do, but I write many, many papers for school and other random outlets.
     I find that concentrating on the topic, starting an outline and then sleeping on it yields inspiration in my sleep. What? I write in my sleep? Actually, yes! I go to sleep thinking about tying these difficult topics and sources into a meaningful paper - aiming for a high score and working to analyze everything discussed in class prior to the paper. Then I sleep on it, but find myself waking every few hours and mulling over main points, weaving together sources and quotes. Sometimes it's a little less serious, like funny things I want to share on my blog.
     I am fully aware that I've crossed over into some land of the strange-minded, but it works for me and I hope it helps me write my first novel once I find my inspiration.
     What about you? When do you write? When you have your best pen? When you have your favorite pajamas on? When you are fully awake? When you are done watching some emotionally exhausting drama and in touch with your deepest feelings? After you get off the phone with a friend that makes you laugh until tears are sneaking out of the outer corners of your eyes? What works for you?

1 comments:

  1. My best time to write is after i shower but before i eat lunch. I can usually keep going after lunch, but i definitely need that shower

    ReplyDelete